The holiday season is a common time for us to put on a few extra pounds. Over the years, this can add up. Preventing this holiday weight gain can decrease your risk of underlying metabolic conditions, like hypertension, diabetes, cancer, fatty liver disease and many more.
The following are some simple suggestions to consider this holiday season.
1. Keep moving. Aim for your 10,000 steps per day if you are a fit bit or apple watch user. Consider a daily 30 minute work out to keep metabolic rate up.
2. Limit alcohol. Consider alternatives like a club soda with lime, a spritz of cranberry juice in club soda as an alternative.
3. Avoid blood sugar lows. It is common for people to fast after eating a heavy meal. Keep in mind this can have detrimental impacts on blood sugar. Fasting can create lows, that stimulate cortisol rises. Consider lighter meals that are protein and fiber rich in the morning.
4. Get adequate sleep....unheard of on Black Friday, I know, I can get into the shopping craze when my sister is visiting :). But, sleep helps us to regulate our hormones, and naturally is a time where our body can enter ketosis, to reset our insulin, leptin and all of our hormones.
5. Keep stress down. My best words of wisdom are to keep the reason for the season at the forefront of your mind. Be together with friends and family. Connect with loved ones and enjoy the magic of these moments together.
Be wise and be well!